Registrar of Cooperative Societies
The Registrar of Cooperative societies, A&N Islands shall function as statutory and administrative head of the Coop Department. The Cooperative Societies functioning in the UT of A&N Islands will be under the direct control and supervision of the Registrar of Cooperative Societies assisted by 03 Deputy Registrar of Cooperative Societies posted one each at Headquarter, Port Blair, at Car Nicobar for the Nicobar District and at Mayabunder for the entire North & Middle Andaman, with 18 Assistant Registrar of Cooperative Societies, 30 Inspectors of Cooperative Societies and 15 Sub-Inspectors of Cooperative Societies under them.
Besides, he is supervising & controlling the works of ministerial and supervisory staff, attending of meetings, hearing to the complaints, advising the office bearers of cooperative societies, formulating policy, decision for furtherance of cooperative movement keeping in view the board policy laid down by the Govt. of India and need based programme in consonance with the aspiration of the people at large.
The Cooperative Department functions under the control and supervision of Registrar of Cooperative Societies who has been vested with the statutory powers under A&N Islands Cooperative Societies Regulation 1973, and the Rules framed there-under in 1974 under the Administrative head of Secretary (Cooperation)-cum-RCS. The Registrar is assisted by 03 Nos. of Deputy Registrars one each at Port Blair (Headquarter), Mayabunder and Car Nicobar, 18 Nos. of Assistant Registrars, 30 Nos. of Inspectors and 15 Nos. of Sub-Inspectors of Cooperative Societies who are posted in various places from Campbell to Diglipur. Besides, there is 25 Ministerial staff as well as 23 Multi Tasking staff (MTS) posted under him.
The Cooperative department envisions to register 975 numbers of more cooperative societies @ average 75 Cooperative societies per year) by 2030 which will create self-employment opportunities particularly for the educated unemployed youths, women, differently-abled persons and tribal’s of A & N Islands for all round development of the Islands.
The departments also envisage computerizing all Primary Agricultural Credit cooperative Societies (PACS) of A & N Islands in collaboration with NABARD and GOI for bringing transparency and uniformity in the working of the credit cooperative societies.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements/documentation’s and procedures for the registration of new Society?
Ans. The application or proposal for registration of society should come from promoter members who belong to different families but are residents of A & N Islands only. The proposal should also mention the specific objective indicating that the proposed society will be viable and will ensure promotion of economic interest of the member.
Documentation and procedures
Ans. The application form for registration can be obtained from the office of the A & N State Co-operative Union situated behind Fire Brigade office at Tylorabad.The applications along with schemes initially received from the Chief Promoters and are scrutinized by the Deptt. To ensure
(a) the viability of a society,
(b) its conformity with A & N Islands Co-operative Societies Regulation and Rules.
The required documents are as follows:-
1. Bye-laws (4 copies)
2. Duly signed application form by promoter members.
3. Copy of organistion meeting resolution resolving name of the society, value of share money, admission fees, liabilities, total number of members of managing committee etc.
To whom should we contact for the registration of new Society ?
Ans. Office of the Registrar Co-operative Societies, VIP Road, Adjacent to Junglighat Post Office, Port Blair, South Andaman District-744103.
How do I get the list of managing committee members (President, Secretary, Treasurer etc.)of a Co-operative Society ?
Ans. Website Link: Homepage +list of Registered Societies.
Please tell me about the main conditions of enrolment of a member in a Co-operative Society ?
Ans. A resident of Andaman & Nicobar Islands can become member of the society if he or she fulfills the conditions laid down in registered bye-laws of different types of societies. In case of housing societies, an applicant for membership should not have any plot/flat in their name or in the name of any dependent member of their family.
What is the role of the registrar?
Ans. From the registration of a Co-operative Society till the cancellation of its registration, the Registrar acts as a friend, philosopher and guide to the co- operatives Registrar order to ensure that the Co-operative Societies function in accordance with the provisions of A & N Islands Co-operative Spcietied Regulation, Rules, Bye-laws and govt. policies.
The main functions of the Registrar are as under:-
1. Registration of Co-operative Societies.
2. Amendments to the Bye-laws of Co-operative Societies.
3. Amalgamation, division and re-organization of Co-operative Societies.
4. Conduction election of Managing Committee in primary Co-operative banks and federal Co-operative Societies.
5. Regulation of investment of funds by Co-operative Societies as per Act & Rules.
6. To conduct audit and inspection, handle enquiries and fix surcharge on negligent functionaries of Co-operative Societies.
7. To settle dispute of Co-operative Societies through the process of arbitration.
8. Function as an appellate court.
9. Enforcement/execution of orders, awards and decrees of various courts.
10. Winding up and cancellation of registration of defunct/non-functional societies.
11. To frame/amend A & N Islands Co-operative Spcieties Regulation, 1973 from time to time.
12. To issue instructions/directives for the promotion of business of different categories of Co-operatives.
What kind of societies could be register under Registrar Cooperative Societies?
1. Agricultural Credit Cooperative
2. Thrift and Credit Co-operative Societies.
3. Urban Co-operative Banks
4. Industrial Co-operative Societies
5. Labour & Construction Co-operative Societies
6. Transport Co-operative Societies
7. Consumer Co-operative Societies
8. Marketing Co-operative Societies
9. Co-operative Federations.
10. Housing Societies
11. Security Services Co-operative Societies
12. Co-operative Societies formed by professionals in the areas